Tuesday, 12 February 2013

update

i was going to call this post "some good news" but i'm not going to jinx myself or speak too soon (yes I'm superstitious like that).

I was wondering if my diet was causing me harm, so I decided to get a blood test, especially since I eat very similar meals or foods every single day with little variety, so I figured it would be best to find out as soon as possible if I lacked some nutrients or minerals or whatever. I figured since I was at the dr, i'd ask for a referral to a dermatologist in hopes of getting a second opinion (on top of the dermatologist referral I already have in two weeks)

So I went to the walk in clinic near home and saw the MD on Feb 9. I told him I was there to see him for several reasons, and immediately he said there wasn't much time, and that we wouldn't necessary get through it all (bad start). I told him primarily I was there for a requisition for bloodwork. He asked me why. I told him it was because I had changed my diet drastically and wasn't sure if it was impacting on my health. He asked me why I changed my diet. I told him because of acne.

well, he just had a field day. he excitedly (or so it seemed to me warped mind). he told me he specialised in acne and started explaining the purpose and benefits treatment. When I asked what treatment he was even talking about, he said he couldn't discuss that yet because he hadn't yet examined the acne (which begs the question - how could you even start explaining purpose and benefits of treatment when you haven't figured out what the treatment is yet?!?). (asshole)

I tried to redirect him at some point, asking him "well don't you want to know the symptoms that cause me worry about my diet and lead me to want a blood test?" (symptoms that I think might be serious like excess urination). he kind of shrugged it off, saying it could be diabetes, and then returned to the acne.

... it could be DIABETES? and shrugged it off and changed the subject? what  the hell is wrong with this guy? He didn't even check off some things on the blood work requisition form like checking sodium or potassium levels. He really didn't seem to care at all about whether I was developing diabetes, if my kidneys were shutting down, or if i was dying...

anyway, he prescribed something topical to be applied at  bedtime - clindomycin phosphate, and an antibiotic - minocycline.

i have stopped acupuncture after 4 treatments over 2 weeks (last visit was on Saturday, same day as the clinic visit), and I have somewhat given up on my strict diet of avoiding all sugars, milks, and only low glycemic foods (I not eat a milk chocolate every now and again, and yogurt because of the antibiotic, as well as hummus and some gluten free carb foods maybe once a day or less).

it's now day 4 and I think I'm noticing minor improvements. Not enough to say whether the topical and oral meds are helping, maybe, since the acne is still obviously there. However, I am noticing  that pimples go away in less time, and don't blow up like they might have before. So things are somewhat looking up.

although the dr (albeit personality wise, still think he's an asshole) did say it would take about 8 months to treat the acne(which is almost exactly how long it took the first time around when I was 21), but he said "2013 is the last year you'll have acne" which was nice to hear even though I am skeptical.

as an aside - the blood test was done today and was  not as painful as acupuncture!! Not sure why but acupuncture continued to be quite uncomfortable and painful for some needle insertions. It also didn't seem to be making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment